Monday, March 5, 2012

My Social Needs Networking

(Looking down on the Columbia River from Camas, Washington.)

I moved to Washington so I could get better help for my children.  I have very few friends and family around and actually have no one to watch my children so I can get a much needed break.  Meeting people is difficult since my children are still little and take up so much of my time.  I would like to volunteer at my daughter's school, but I have no one to watch my non-verbal son so I can do it.  Balancing the needs of my higher functioning child with that of my lower functioning child are difficult and I don't think I'm doing a good job of it lately.  Especially when my non-verbal 3 year old is as sick as he often is.

I won't lie.  I'm tired.  I need adult time.  I need stimulating conversations and to be an independent person for awhile.  I've heard of respite services.  I even checked into a place that provides it.  The wait list won't give me a reprieve soon enough though.  I guess I'll keep trying.

For people who don't ever get a break, there is mental relief in virtual social networking.  Check out "groups" on Facebook and My Autism Team.  I'm sure there are more websites out there, but those are the two I'm currently on.  They are a great forum to share resources, experiences and treatments but a lot of people use the forum to vent because, there is no one who understands better than another parent of an Autistic child.


No comments:

Post a Comment